One site Detroit has to offer is the wonderful downtown
river walk. I strongly encourage
everyone to visit this area when you come down to Detroit. It is amazing to see what they have done to
restore a once industrial area to a pristine community recreation area. It’s absolutely beautiful to see across the
water to Canada. The river walk is
presently three and half miles long, extending from Joe Louis Arena to Gabriel
Richard Park, with plans to expand from the MacArthur Bridge to the Ambassador
Bridge. The river walk has many events
going on and something for everyone; for children the river walk includes a carousel
and playground. It offers a volleyball
court with a sitting area and refreshments.
One particular activity that I have partaken is the Segway
tour offered along the walk. This is a
wonderful way to take in and tour the downtown area. One can rent a Segway for a two hour guided
tour. I highly recommend this unique way
to tour the city and river walk. Other
tour options range from one and a half to three hours depending on how
comfortable one is riding a Segway. Guides provide instruction on how to operate a
Segway suitable for beginners in a practice area prior to starting the
tour. This is not only a great way to see
parts of the Downtown area, but also an affordable opportunity to try out a
unique piece of transportation technology.
Different tours packages are available to suit budget and time constraints. One can explore the downtown area, the river
walk, or the surrounding neighborhood operating May through October. Prices range from $40.00 - $75.00. Unguided Segway rentals are also available if
one desires to explore with no tour guide.
You won’t regret taking the time to experience this unique two wheeled
adventure in downtown Detroit.
Sounds like fun! I have always wanted to go on the River Walk.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea! I did a Segway tour of Chicago - it was an awesome way to see the city.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that I have lived in Detroit my entire life and I have never done a Segway tour! Honestly, I am a little embarrassed to say that I didn't even know that we had Segway tours in Detroit! Thanks for your post!
ReplyDeleteThe improvements to the River Walk really give these Segway tours a boost – easy, well-maintained routes let you focus on the sights.
ReplyDelete