Sunday, November 16, 2014

Detroit State Park: Belle Isle

Belle Isle is truly a gem in the city of Detroit.  Over the years the park has languished in disrepair.  The State of Michigan leased the property from the City of Detroit and now operates it as a state park.  Since that time, many wonderful things have been done to the park to restore its condition.  Before becoming a state park, a lot of the buildings were run down and the grounds needed a lot of attention.  They even have the James Scott Memorial Fountain running again and it is beautiful.  Belle Isle offers so many different things to see.  For instance the aquarium has been partially restored and is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM.   A small zoo operates from Wednesday to Sunday, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM.  The museum is open Saturdays and Sundays from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM.  A conservatory is open Wednesday to Sundays from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM.  The best part about having all these different attractions is the price; free!  Vehicles can still access Belle Isle for free until February 2015.  Vehicles will have to obtain am $11.00 recreation passport which is available at the Secretary of State office.

One thing I enjoy the most about Belle Isle is the scenery.  I like riding my bike around the island and seeing Canada across the river and the sky scrapers of Detroit in the distance.  The Department of Natural Resources has certainly left a mark in the short time since taking over as stewards.  This community gem is well on its way to being restored for Detroiters to enjoy.   The landscaping and debris has been cleaned and the lawns have been mowed.   One summer event in particular that I look forward to every year is the Detroit Grand Prix which is hosted at Belle Isle.  I like that it brings in business to the Detroit community as well as attracting a crowd of people that may just be discovering Belle Isle for the first time.  If you haven’t ever visited, or maybe it’s been a while, I hope you will check out this gem of a park on your next visit to Detroit.



4 comments:

  1. That picture is one of the best I have ever seen of Belle Isle – the image makes the place look tantalizing, magical. I'm excited to go to the Isle and see it with newer (well, older) eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture is one of the best I have ever seen of Belle Isle – the HDR effects make it look tantalizing, almost magical. Just from seeing this picture, I'm interested to go see the Isle again with new (well, older) eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful picture of Belle Isle! I haven't been there in years but my grandparents used to take my sisters and I there all the time! I'm so glad they have kept the aquarium open, I need to head back ASAP!

    ReplyDelete